Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Cultural Short Story

Julie and I went out with some friends to one of the malls. We decided to eat at the food court, and I wanted a baked potato, and yes they do have them here. So we went to the counter to order, and my friend Elizabeth ordered in Russian for us just a potato with butter, cheese, sour cream, and salt. You should have seen the look on the man’s face. He was confused at first because he thought he misunderstood her, so he asked her to repeat the order. She did again, and he thought she was confused because she wasn’t ordering any of the toppings, and no, for the record, toppings are not chives, sour cream, bacon bits, and all the good stuff. Toppings consist of various mayonnaise salads, for example, little mushrooms with mayo and dill, or another salad was mayo with corn and cheese oh and of course dill. As you can see from my dilemma, I did not want their toppings, just give it to me plain! For all my brave friends, come to Kiev and try one of these baked potatoes with the mayo salad toppings and let me know how it is. If you can't tell from this story, I passed on that culinary dish!

Oh and I will be sending out a newsletter soon! If you aren't on my email list, send it to me so I can add you to receive prayer and newsletter emails!

2 comments:

Anthony said...

You should try the Russian toppings! You never know, you may end up loving them. Haha. While I was in Russia, I had some "pancakes" with different fillings that were very good.

-Anthony J.

Unknown said...

I'll have to try some of them. Last night I had something very similar to Ton's, you know in GP, anyway it was really similar except for the sour cream. We asked for just soy sauce but apparently our order wasn't to their liking and they added the sour cream...very interesting combo!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com